Friday, May 14, 2010

Will my micro ATX motherboard fit in my Dell Dimension 2400 Case?

I Wanna get this mobo http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2968644%26amp;body=MAIN#detailspecs





but I wanna know if its going to fit on my Dell Dimension 2400 case, I have no idea on what the calucations are, maybe some of you guys might know.Will my micro ATX motherboard fit in my Dell Dimension 2400 Case?
spend $20 more and get the next AMD chipset





http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as鈥?/a>





and if you have a mid-tower case it will fit. i have the M2A-VM HDMI and it fit in mine...Will my micro ATX motherboard fit in my Dell Dimension 2400 Case?
Maybe.





If you had a generic case from Antec, Enermax, or a case vendor, the answer would likely be yes. Since the case manufacturer doesn't know what motherboard you'll be using, they pre-drill holes for several types of motherboards. You would the screw the motherboard posts into the holes matching your motherboard.





However, Dell makes their own cases and they usually make them to fit the specific motherboards they plan on putting in them. That means that if your current motherboard is an ATX-style board (Since Dell makes their own motherboards in many cases, this is not guaranteed either, but it is likely), Dell may not have drilled screws in the case for other form factors. Short of taking out your current motherboard, you may be able to remove the part of the case under the current motherboard to get a look. If you see small, empty holes there (around 1/8'; in diameter) you may be in luck. If not. you could try to drill your own if you are very handy. (The tolerances are pretty small.)





If your Dimension 2400 is over a few years old, you'll likely need a new power supply to run any current motherboard, CPU and graphics card. It may just be time (and will probably be simpler in the long run) to get a new case.

No comments:

Post a Comment